Prof. Mehrotra is currently an Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology at the Rollins Institute of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta. He led the India Cancer Research Consortium (Indian Council of Medical Research-Department of Health Research). He is a member of the Scientific Council of the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) of the World Health Organization at Lyon, France. Earlier he was the Lead at the ICMR-National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research as well as the WHO-FCTC Global Knowledge Hub on Smokeless Tobacco Products.
In addition to his academic career in various medical schools, Dr. Mehrotra has been a leading proponent of affordable cancer care. He led successful programs in a broad range of public health efforts. He has guided India’s Ministry of Health & Family Welfare in conceiving and implementing the Framework for Cancer Control. He was instrumental in three Indian states take up HPV vaccination immunization against cervical cancer, the most recent one being Sikkim.
Over and above his expertise in cancer prevention, epidemiology, pathology, and public health, Prof Mehrotra has a wealth of experience leading large multi-disciplinary teams, overseeing operations, shaping and implementing national-scale strategic plans, fostering key institutional partnerships and using evidence to influence policy. Has extensive experience collaborating with leaders in government, academia, private and not-for-profit sectors and has facilitated collaborative projects with well-known international institutions such as the US National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute of Health Research, UK, The Union, and the World Health Organization- Framework Convention for Tobacco Control. He is an impactful researcher with more than 350 peer-reviewed publications, including The Lancet, Cancer, BMJ and Nature, numerous books/chapters, and technical reports, he sits on the editorial board of 8 medical journals and was the Principal Investigator of over 10 national and international research grants with major funding.
His research interests are focused on various aspects of public health, especially non-communicable diseases, including the early diagnosis and screening of cancer, diabetes, and hypertension, medical education, tobacco control, especially the smokeless variety and mentoring of younger scientists as well as health worker training. He is the winner of many prestigious awards, including the prestigious Dr. P.N.Wahi and Dr. Lachman award in Cancer prevention as well as the Ernest Fernandes Award of the Indian Academy of Cytologists, in addition to being its’ past President.
He is a committed educator who has successfully mentored more than two-dozen graduate and post-graduate trainees in pathology, epidemiology, molecular cancer research, and global health. Dr. Mehrotra holds degrees in Medicine from the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, MD, and Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Allahabad as well as the Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathology from the United Kingdom.
Areas of Interest
- Cancer Prevention
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Tobacco Control and Prevention
Affiliations & Activities
India Cancer Research Consortium (Indian Council of Medical Research - Department of Health Research, Ministry of Health, Government of India), Red Cross Road, New Delhi www.icrc.icmr.org.in
Associate, Healis Sekhsaria Institute of Public Health https://www.healis.org/
Affiliate, Cancer Foundation of India http://www.cancerfoundationofindia.org
Co-Director, ASTRA - Addressing Smokeless Tobacco Research in South Asia project from NIHR (UK) https://www.york.ac.uk/igdc/research/astra-project/
Visiting Professor, Schoool of Health Sciences, University of York, UK https://www.york.ac.uk/healthsciences/research/public-health/staff/
Member, Council of Advisors on Science and Technology, Open Health Sciences Laboratory (OHSL), USA http://www.ohsl.us/teaming/council-of-advisors-for-science-and-technology-cast/cast-membership/
Visiting Professor of Global Health, Brunel University, UK https://www.brunel.ac.uk/people/ravi-mehrotra
Member, Scientific Council of WHO-IARC, Lyon, France http://governance.iarc.fr/SC/SC56/BiosketchSC2020.pdf
- Ginsberg O, Yip CH, Brooks A, Cabanes A, Caleffi M, Dunstan Yataco JA, Gyawali B, McCormack V, McLaughlin de Anderson M, Mehrotra R et al, 2020, Breast cancer early detection: a phased approach to implementation. , Cancer, 126, 2379-93
- Mehrotra R, Kaushik N, Kaushik R, 2020, Why smokeless tobacco control needs to be strengthened?, Cancer Control, 27, 107327482091465 PMID:32208972
- Smokeless tobacco control in India: policy review and lessons for high burden countries. , 2020, Yadav A , Kumar C, Gupta PC, Sinha DN, Mehrotra R , BMJ Global Health , PMID: 32665375,
- Sankaranarayanan R, Basu P... Mehrotra R , 2019, Current status of human papillomavirus vaccination in India’s cervical cancer prevention efforts, Lancet Oncology, 20, e637-e644
- Mehrotra R, Yadav A, Sinha DN, Parascandola M, John RM, Ayo-Yusuf O, Nargis N, Hatsukami DK, Warnakulasuriya S, Straif K, Siddiqi K, Gupta PC , 2019, Global scenario of smokeless tobacco control: call to action for full implementation of WHO FCTC measures., Lancet Oncology , 20, e208-17
- Naghavi M; ... Mehrotra R & Global Burden of Disease Self-Harm Collaborators, 2019, Global, regional, and national burden of suicide mortality 1990 to 2016: systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016. , BMJ, 364, 194
- GBD Group... Mehrotra R, 2019, Mapping 123 million neonatal, infant and child deaths between 2000 and 2017, Nature , 574, 353-58
- Dhillon P, Mathur P, Nandakumar A, Mehrotra R, Swaminathan S, Dandona L, 2018, India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Cancer Collaborators.The burden of cancers and their variations across the states of India from 1990 to 2016: the Global Burden of Disease Study., Lancet Oncology, ,
- Sivaram S, Majumdar G, Perin D, Ashrafunnessa, Broeders M, Lynge E, Saraiya M, Segnan N, Sankaranarayanan R, Rajaraman P, Trimble E, Taplin S, Rath GK, Mehrotra R, 2018, Population-based cancer screening programmes in low-income and middle- income countries: regional consultation of the International Cancer Screening Network in India. , Lancet Oncology , 19, 113-22.
- Mehrotra R, Hariprasad R, Rajaraman P, Mahajan V, Grover R, Kaur P, Swaminathan S , 2017, Stemming the wave of cervical cancer: HPV vaccine introduction in India. , Jour Global Oncol , ,
- Rajaraman P, Anderson BO, Basu P, Belinson JL, D'Cruz A, Dhillon P, Gupta PC, Jawahar TS, Joshi N, Kailash U, Kapambwe S, Katoch VM, Krishnan S, Panda D, Sankaranarayanan R, Selvam JM, Shah KV, Shastri S, Shridhar K, Siddiqi M, Sudha S, Seth T, Srivastava A, Trimble TM, Mehrotra R, 2015, Recommendations for screening and early detection of common cancers in India. , Lancet Oncology, 16, e352-61