Prof Mehrotra is Chief Executive Officer of the Indian Cancer Research Consortium (Indian Council of Medical Research-Department of Health Research) and Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology at the Rollins Institute of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta. Earlier he has been the Director at the ICMR-National Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research as well as the WHO-FCTC Global Hub on Smokeless Tobacco Products. He has recently been nominated to the Scientific Council of the WHO-IARC (International Agency for Research on Cancer) in Lyon, France.
In addition to his academic career in various medical schools, Dr. Mehrotra has been a leading proponent of affordable cancer care. He led successful programs in a broad range of public health efforts. He has guided India’s Ministry of Health & Family Welfare in conceiving and implementing the Framework for Cancer Control. He was instrumental in three Indian states take up HPV vaccination immunization against cervical cancer, the most recent one being Sikkim.
Over and above his expertise in cancer prevention, epidemiology, pathology, and public health, Prof Mehrotra has a wealth of experience leading large multi-disciplinary teams, overseeing operations, shaping and implementing national-scale strategic plans, fostering key institutional partnerships and using evidence to influence policy. Has extensive experience collaborating with leaders in government, academia, the private and not-for-profit sectors and has facilitated collaborative projects with well-known international institutions such as the US National Institutes of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Institute of Health Research, UK, The Union and the World Health Organization- Framework Convention for Tobacco Control. He is an impactful researcher with more than 200 peer-reviewed publications, including the Lancet, BMJ and Nature, numerous books/chapters and technical reports, he sits on the editorial board of 8 medical journals and was the Principal Investigator of over 10 national and international research grants with major funding.
His research interests are focused on various aspects of public health, especially non-communicable diseases, including the early diagnosis and screening of cancer, diabetes, and hypertension, medical education, tobacco control, especially the smokeless variety and mentoring of younger scientists as well as health worker training. He is the winner of many prestigious awards, including the prestigious Dr. P.N.Wahi and Dr. Lachman award in Cancer prevention as well as the Ernest Fernandes Award of the Indian Academy of Cytologists, in addition to being its’ past President.
He is a committed educator who has successfully mentored more than two-dozen graduate and post-graduate trainees in pathology, epidemiology, molecular cancer research, and global health. Dr. Mehrotra holds degrees in medicine from the Armed Forces Medical College, Pune, MD and Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Allahabad as well as the Fellowship of the Royal College of Pathology from the United Kingdom.
8517 169th Place NE
Redmond , WA 98052
Areas of Interest
- Cancer Prevention
- Global Health
- Health Communication
- Health Disparities
- Non-communicable Diseases
- Tobacco Control and Prevention
Affiliations & Activities
India Cancer Research Consortium (ICMR)
Healis Sekhsaria Institute of Public Health
Codirector, ASTRA - Addressing Smokeless Tobacco Research in South Asia (https://www.york.ac.uk/igdc/research/astra-project/ ) project from NIHR (UK)
- Rengaswamy Sankaranarayanan, Partha Basu, Prabhdeep Kaur, Rajesh Bhaskar, Gurinder Bir Singh, Phumzay Denzongpa, Rajesh K Grover, Paul Sebastian, Tapan Saikia, Kunal Oswal, Rishav Kanodia, Amantia Dsouza, Ravi Mehrotra, Goura Kishor Rath, Viniita Jaggi, Sundram Kashyap, Ishu Kataria, Roopa Hariprasad, Peter Sasieni, Neerja Bhatla, Preetha Rajaraman, Edward L Trimble, Soumya Swaminathan, Arnie Purushotham , 2019, Current status of human papillomavirus vaccination in India’s cervical cancer prevention efforts, Lancet Oncology, 20, e637-e644
- • Mehrotra R, Yadav A, Sinha DN, Parascandola M, John RM, Ayo-Yusuf O, Nargis N, Hatsukami DK, Warnakulasuriya S, Straif K, Siddiqi K, Gupta PC , 2019, Global scenario of smokeless tobacco control: call to action for full implementation of WHO FCTC measures., Lancet Oncology , 20, e208-17
- Dhillon P, Mathur P, Nandakumar A, Mehrotra R, Swaminathan S, Dandona L. , 2018, India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Cancer Collaborators.The burden of cancers and their variations across the states of India from 1990 to 2016: the Global Burden of Disease Study., Lancet Oncology, ,
- Sivaram S, Majumdar G, Perin D, Ashrafunnessa, Broeders M, Lynge E, Saraiya M, Segn, 2018, Population-based cancer screening programmes in low-income and middle- income countries: regional consultation of the International Cancer Screening Network in India. , Lancet Oncology , 19, 113-22.