Hubert Department of Global Health (GH)
Learn about global health challenges through combined methods and skill sets, practical opportunities, and subject-specific knowledge.
Why Global Health?
Global health seeks to understand and reduce inequities in health and well-being. Our students and faculty work to improve health and health delivery systems around the world. A master’s degree in global health can launch you into work with research and academic institutions, governmental agencies, immigrant/refugee health organizations and other international bodies in domestic and global locations.
Meet Our Faculty
This year, our faculty have received $26 million for sponsored research, and the year is not over yet! Our faculty have research projects that span the globe and these projects open up applied practice experiences and thesis opportunities for global health students.
Emory has 31 members in the National Academy of Medicine nine of those (29%) are GH faculty. Dr. Venkat Narayan was elected in 2016.
Notable National Awards:
- ASPPH Early Career Public Health Teaching Award Winners: Since this award began in 2007, five HDGH faculty have won it (Drs. Stephenson in 2007; Leon in 2012, Ali in 2013; Winskell in 2016; Evans in 2018 and Webb-Girard in 2019)
- Dr. Deb McFarland won ASPPH's highest honor, the “Teaching Excellence Award” in 2017.
- Dr. Dabney Evans won the APHA Mid-Career Award in International Health in 2017.
- Dr. Venkat Narayan was awarded the American Diabetes Association Kelly West Award for Outstanding Achievement in Epidemiology.
- Dr. Aryeh Stein won the E.V. McCollum International Lectureship in Nutrition in 2018