Use what you learned there to help those most in need here…
The most important aspect of Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship is its ongoing commitment to service.
The Rollins School of Public Health has a very dynamic Peace Corps community. Returned Peace Corps Volunteers pursuing a career in public health provide a unique perspective to the approach and practice of public health and are recognized as a vital part of the student body at RSPH. Many aspects of the PC experience are highly correlated with various topics discussed within the RSPH curriculum that examine populations—at the community, local, national and global levels—with the ultimate goal of improving health.
The Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship Program advances the third goal of Peace Corps to help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans by developing and maintaining educational partnerships that place returned volunteers in internships in underserved U. S. communities. It also supports RSPH's mission by creating an environment supporting excellence in service and training of leaders to promote health and prevent disease in human populations around the world.
Fellow Application Process
Fellows are selected as merit scholars for their demonstrated leadership and ongoing commitment to service. All applicants that submit completed applications to SOPHAS by the priority deadline of January 5 will be able to apply for this highly competitive merit scholarship.
RPCV applicants interested in being considered for the Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship are required to submit a supplemental application. An example of the 2019 Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship Supplemental Application can be found here.
Eligible applicants interested in the Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship must indicate their Returned Peace Corps Volunteer status in their SOPHAS application. Once your SOPHAS application is received by Rollins, you will be sent the Paul D. Coverdell Fellowship Application Form to the email you have listed. Please note that it may take up to two weeks for the application to be sent.
To be considered for the Fellowship, an applicant must submit a completed SOPHAS application by the school wide priority deadline of January 5. The application process for Fall 2018 admission has closed. Fall 2019 admission will open mid-August.
RSPH greatly values the experience, perspective and service of all RPCV students. Those selected as Paul D. Coverdell Fellows receive an award package including: partial tuition scholarship, Rollins Earn and Learn (REAL) award, and a practicum award. The award package is provided to Coverdell Fellows in order to facilitate the RSPH Global Service Prep course and community-engaged learning programs, like the Clarkston-Rollins Connection, and to coordinate activities on campus in the Atlanta community.
What does it mean to be a Coverdell Fellow?
All students selected to be a Coverdell Fellow will participate in the following:
- the Clarkston-Rollins Connection course during their first year at RSPH
- a minimum of 5 hours of Fellowship work experience a week during the two years in the Program
- the Scholars in Action Program
By participating in the Paul D. Coverdell Fellows program, students will be able to…
1. Learn effective practices for managing programs from start to finish
2. Communicate effectively with diverse populations and stakeholders at the university and community level
3. Learn and practice peer leadership skills in facilitation and mentoring
4. Learn and practice effective team management and group dynamics and through ongoing self-reflection and team accountability
5. Facilitate meaningful learning activities in the classroom and community that make up a complete curriculum
6. Evaluate and assess programmatic success through indicators of self, peer and participant data
7. Identify personal strengths and skills to assist with program responsibilities and ongoing growth and professional development
8. Understand and explain how skills gained through the Fellows program translate to the work setting and ongoing professional development