Sara Kim is a PhD student with the Department of Epidemiology at Emory University. Her research focuses on vaccine preventable diseases and vaccine effectiveness, including studying the impacts of host factors on effectiveness and evaluating biases in vaccine effectiveness methods. She serves as a teaching assistant for a graduate level course, Epidemiologic Methods I, and as a data manager for social mixing pattern studies.
Prior to her doctoral training, Sara worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for four years in influenza prevention and control and the federal COVID-19 emergency response.
Areas of Interest
- Infectious Disease
- BA 2016, Emory University
- MPH 2018, Yale School of Public Health
- Hobbs, Charlotte V. MD; Kim, Sara S. MPH; Vemula, Preeti MPH; Inagaki, Kengo MD; Harrison, Virginia A. MD; Malloch, Lacy BS; Martin, Lora M. MSN; Singh, Gurbaksh MSc; Agana, Urita BS; Williams, John M. MSc; Patterson, Kayla MSC; Kittle, Theresa MPH; Byers, Paul MD; Palmer, April MD; Santos, Roberto P. MD; Dhanrajani, Anita MD; Stephenson, Meagan MPH; Hung, Leroy PhD; Hankins, Phillip PhD; Thornburg, Nathalie PhD; Drobeniuc, Jan MD, PhD; Flannery, Brendan PhD; on behalf of the CDC COVID-19 Response Team, 2022, Active Surveillance With Seroprevalence-based Infection Rates Indicates Racial Disparities With Pediatric SARS-CoV-2 Requiring Hospitalization in Mississippi, March 2020-February 2021, The Pediatrics Infectious Disease Journal, 41, 736-741
- Manjusha Gaglani, Sara S Kim, Allison L Naleway, Min Z Levine, Laura Edwards, Kempapura Murthy, Kayan Dunnigan, Tnelda Zunie, Holly Groom, Sarah Ball, Zuha Jeddy, Danielle Hunt, Meredith G Wesley, Suryaprakash Sambhara, Shivaprakash Gangappa, Lauren Grant, Weiping Cao, F Liaini Gross, Margarita Mishina, Alicia M Fry, MD, Mark G Thompson, Fatimah S Dawood, Brendan Flannery, 2022, Effect of Repeat Vaccination on Immunogenicity of Quadrivalent Cell-Culture and Recombinant Influenza Vaccines Among Healthcare Personnel Aged 18-64 Years: A Randomized, Open-Label Trial, Clinical Infectious Diseases, ,
- Sara S. Kim,Jessie R. Chung,H. Keipp Talbot,Carlos G. Grijalva,Karen J. Wernli,Erika Kiniry,Emily T. Martin,Arnold S. Monto,Edward A. Belongia,Huong Q. McLean,Manjusha Gaglani,Mufaddal Mamawala,Mary Patricia Nowalk,Krissy Moehling Geffel,Sara Y. Tartof,Ana Florea,Justin S. Lee,Mark W. Tenforde,Manish M. Patel,Brendan Flannery, 2022, Effectiveness of two and three mRNA COVID?19 vaccine doses against Omicron? and Delta?Related outpatient illness among adults, October 2021–February 2022, Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses, ,
- Sara S Kim, Jessie R Chung, Edward A Belongia, Huong Q McLean, Jennifer P King, Mary Patricia Nowalk, Richard K Zimmerman, Goundappa K Balasubramani, Emily T Martin, Arnold S Monto, Lois E Lamerato, Manjusha Gaglani, Michael E Smith, Kayan M Dunnigan, Michael L Jackson, Lisa A Jackson, Mark W Tenforde, Jennifer R Verani, Miwako Kobayashi, Stephanie J Schrag, Manish M Patel, Brendan Flannery, 2021, Messenger RNA Vaccine Effectiveness Against Coronavirus Disease 2019 Among Symptomatic Outpatients Aged ?16 Years in the United States, February–May 2021, Journal of Infectious Diseases, 224, 1694-1698
- Sara S Kim, Eric A Naioti, Natasha B Halasa, Laura S Stewart, John V Williams, Marian G Michaels, Rangaraj Selvarangan, Christopher J Harrison, Mary A Staat, Elizabeth P Schlaudecker, Geoffrey A Weinberg, Peter G Szilagyi, Julie A Boom, Leila C Sahni, Janet A Englund, Eileen J Klein, Constance E Ogokeh, Angela P Campbell, Manish M Patel, 2021, Vaccine Effectiveness Against Influenza Hospitalization and Emergency Department Visits in 2 A(H3N2) Dominant Influenza Seasons Among Children <18 Years Old-New Vaccine Surveillance Network 2016-2017 and 2017-2018, Journal of Infectious Diseases, 226, 91-96
- Sara S Kim, Brendan Flannery, Ivo M Foppa, Jessie R Chung, Mary Patricia Nowalk, Richard K Zimmerman, Manjusha Gaglani, Arnold S Monto, Emily T Martin, Edward A Belongia, Huong Q McLean, Michael L Jackson, Lisa A Jackson, Manish Patel, 2020, Effects of prior season vaccination on current season vaccine effectiveness in the US Flu VE Network, 2012-13 through 2017-18, Clinical Infectious Diseases, 73, 497-505
- Mark W. Tenforde, MD, PhD; Sara S. Kim, MPH; Christopher J. Lindsell, PhD; Erica Billig Rose, PhD; Nathan I. Shapiro, MD; D. Clark Files, MD; Kevin W. Gibbs, MD; Heidi L. Erickson, MD; Jay S. Steingrub, MD; Howard A. Smithline, MD; Michelle N. Gong, MD; Michael S. Aboodi, MD; Matthew C. Exline, MD; Daniel J. Henning, MD; Jennifer G. Wilson, MD; Akram Khan, MD; Nida Qadir, MD; Samuel M. Brown, MD; Ithan D. Peltan, MD; Todd W. Rice, MD; David N. Hager, MD, PhD; Adit A. Ginde, MD; William B. Stubblefield, MD; Manish M. Patel, MD; Wesley H. Self, MD; Leora R. Feldstein, PhD; IVY Network Investigators; CDC COVID-19 Response Team, 2020, Symptom Duration and Risk Factors for Delayed Return to Usual Health Among Outpatients with COVID-19 in a Multistate Health Care Systems Network — United States, March–June 2020, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69, 993-998
- Sara S Kim, Manish Patel, Alan Hinman, 2017, Use of m-Health in polio eradication and other immunization activities in developing countries, Vaccine, 35, 1373-1379