Katelyn Chiang is a Nutrition and Health Sciences PhD student at Emory University. Her research focuses on maternal and child nutrition, and she is particularly interested in exploring how early feeding and nutrition impact health across the life course.
Prior to beginning her doctoral studies, Katelyn worked at the CDC’s Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity where her research focused on nutrition during the “first 1,000 days” including breastfeeding, complementary feeding, and micronutrient nutrition. She also has previous experience researching maternal substance use and mental health and implementing community-based childhood obesity prevention programming. Katelyn received an MPH in Epidemiology from Emory University and a BA in Anthropology from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Areas of Interest
- Chronic Diseases
- Health Disparities
- Maternal and Child Health
- Obesity Prevention
- Women’s Health
- Bachelor of Arts 2014, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Master in Public Health 2018, Emory University
- Chiang KV, Li R, Anstey EH, Perrine CG, 2021, Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Breastfeeding Initiation - United States, 2019, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report , 70, 769–774
- Hamner HC, Chiang KV, Li R, 2021, Returning to Work and Breastfeeding Duration at 12 Months, WIC Infant and Toddler Feeding Practices Study-2, Breastfeeding Medicine, 16, 956-964
- Perrine CG, Chiang KV, Anstey EH, Grossniklaus DA, Boundy EO, Sauber-Schatz EK, Nelson JM, 2020, Implementation of Hospital Practices Supportive of Breastfeeding in the Context of COVID-19 - United States, July 15-August 20, 2020, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69, 1767-1770
- Chiang KV, Hamner HC, Li R, Perrine CG, 2020, Timing of Introduction of Complementary Foods - United States, 2016-2018, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 69, 1787–1791
- Chiang KV, Sharma AJ, Nelson JM, Olson CK, Perrine CG, 2019, Receipt of Breast Milk by Gestational Age - United States, 2017, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 68, 489–493
- Chiang KV, Okoroh EM, Kasehagen LJ, Garcia-Saavedra LF, Ko JY, 2019, Standardization of State Definitions for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome Surveillance and the Opioid Crisis, American Journal of Public Health, 109, 1193-1197