Dr. Sheela Sinharoy is an Assistant Professor in the Hubert Department of Global Health at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University. She has approximately 20 years of experience working on global health and development programs. Her research focuses on the nutrition of women and children, especially in relation to: agriculture, food systems, and food security; gender, empowerment, and social inclusion; water, sanitation, and hygiene; and household air pollution. Her work has a strong focus on inter-disciplinary and multi-sectoral approaches, program evaluation, and implementation science, to identify "what works" to improve program effectiveness. Methodologically, she is trained in both quantitative and qualitative methods. Dr. Sinharoy's research spans across Latin America, Asia, Africa, and the Pacific.
Selected recent publications are below. Please see my Google Scholar page for additional work.
Areas of Interest
- Community Health & Development
- Global Health
- Maternal and Child Health
- Safe Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
- S Sinharoy, T Clasen, R Martorell., 2020, Air pollution and stunting: A missing link?, The Lancet Global Health, 8, E472-E475
- H Reese, P Routray, B Torondel, S Sinharoy, S Mishra, MC Freeman, HH Chang, T Clasen, 2019, Assessing longer-term effectiveness of a combined household-level piped water and sanitation intervention on child diarrhoea, acute respiratory infection, soil-transmitted helminth infection and nutritional status: a matched cohort study in rural Odisha, India, International Journal of Epidemiology, 48, 1757-1767
- H Reese, S Sinharoy, T Clasen, 2019, Using structural equation modelling to untangle sanitation, water and hygiene pathways for intervention improvements in height-for-age in children< 5 years old, International Journal of Epidemiology, 48, 1992–2000
- S Sinharoy, JL Waid, R Haardörfer, A Wendt, S Gabrysch, KM Yount, 2018, Women's dietary diversity in rural Bangladesh: pathways through women's empowerment, Maternal and Child Nutrition, 14,
- S Sinharoy, WP Schmidt, R Wendt, L Mfura, E Crossett, KA Grépin, W Jack, BN Rwabufigiri, J Habyarimana, T Clasen, 2017, Effect of community health clubs on child diarrhoea in western Rwanda: cluster-randomised controlled trial, The Lancet Global Health, 5, e699-e709