I am an infectious disease epidemiologist specializing in mathematical and computational approaches for investigating epidemic dynamics. I lead the EpiModel Research Lab at Emory and collaborate on many research studies that develop infectious disease modeling methods and applications.
Our methodological research focuses on the development and maintanence of our open-souce software tool for epidemic modeling, EpiModel, which allows users to build, simulate, and analyze complex mechanistic models for transmission of arbitrarily defined infectious disease systems. EpiModel provides a powerful toolkit for modeling dynamic contact networks that are often fundamental for representing transmission of diseases requiring direct contact.
My applied research focuses on HIV and sexually transmitted infections in both the United States and Sub-Saharan Africa. I am interested in how we can use modeling to understand the drivers of these diseases, and to design and evaluate highly effective prevention strategies. Recent applications have used models to simulate the co-circulation of multiple interacting pathogens within the same population, since the risk factors for acquiring one disease may depend on the epidemic dynamics of other infections transmitted along the same contact network.
More broadly, the work of my lab involves addressing these questions with research in the following research domains: HIV & STI epidemiology; Mathematical modeling of infectious disease; Social & sexual network analysis; Causal inference methods for epidemiology; Survey research design and analysis; and Computer science & computational epidemiology. I actively support and mentor PhD students, post-docs, and research staff who work with me in these areas.
Areas of Interest
- HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Sexual Health/Behavior
- High Performance Computing
- Infectious Disease Dynamics
- Social Epidemiology
- Bayesian Analysis
- Network Science
- Research Methods
- PhD 2015, University of Washington
- MPH 2005, Boston University
- BA 2002, Boston University
- EPI 570: Infectious Disease Dynamics
- Jenness SM, Goodreau SM, Rosenberg E, Beylerian EN, Hoover KW, Smith DK, Sullivan P., 2016, Impact of the Centers for Disease Control's HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis Guidelines for Men Who Have Sex With Men in the United States., J Infect Dis. , 214, 1800-1807
- Jenness SM, Goodreau SM, Morris M, Cassels S., 2016, Effectiveness of combination packages for HIV-1 prevention in sub-Saharan Africa depends on partnership network structure: a mathematical modelling study., Sex Transm Infect. , 92, 619-624
- Jenness SM, Biney AA, Ampofo WK, Nii-Amoo Dodoo F, Cassels S., 2015, Minimal coital dilution in Accra, Ghana., J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr., 69, 85-91
- Jenness SM, Neaigus A, Wendel T, Gelpi-Acosta C, Hagan H., 2014, Spatial recruitment bias in respondent-driven sampling: Implications for HIV prevalence estimation in urban heterosexuals., AIDS Behav, 18, 2366-73
- Jenness SM, Myers JE, Neaigus A, Lulek J, Navejas M, Raj-Singh S., 2012, Delayed entry into HIV medical care after HIV diagnosis: risk factors and research methods., AIDS Care., 24, 1240-8
- Jenness SM, Neaigus A, Murrill CS, Gelpi-Acosta C, Wendel T, Hagan H., 2011, Recruitment-adjusted estimates of HIV prevalence and risk among men who have sex with men: effects of weighting venue-based sampling data., Public Health Rep., 126, 635-42
- Jenness SM, Begier EM, Neaigus A, Murrill CS, Wendel T, Hagan H., 2011, Unprotected anal intercourse and sexually transmitted diseases in high-risk heterosexual women., Am J Public Health., 101, 745-50
- Jenness SM, Kobrak P, Wendel T, Neaigus A, Murrill CS, Hagan H., 2011, Patterns of exchange sex and HIV infection in high-risk heterosexual men and women., J Urban Health., 88, 329-41
- Jenness SM, Neaigus A, Murrill CS, Wendel T, Forgione L, Hagan H., 2011, Estimated HIV incidence among high-risk heterosexuals in New York City, 2007., J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr., 56, 193-7
- Jenness SM, Hagan H, Liu KL, Wendel T, Murrill CS., 2011, Continuing HIV risk in New York City injection drug users: the association of syringe source and syringe sharing., Subst Use Misuse. , 46, 192-200
- Jenness SM, Neaigus A, Hagan H, Wendel T, Gelpi-Acosta C, Murrill CS., 2010, Reconsidering the internet as an HIV/STD risk for men who have sex with men., AIDS Behav., 14, 1353-61
- Jenness SM, Neaigus A, Hagan H, Murrill CS, Wendel T., 2010, Heterosexual HIV and sexual partnerships between injection drug users and noninjection drug users., AIDS Patient Care STDS., 24, 175-81
- Jenness SM, Murrill CS, Liu KL, Wendel T, Begier E, Hagan H., 2009, Missed opportunities for HIV testing among high-risk heterosexuals., Sex Transm Dis., 36, 704-10
- Jenness SM, Sharma A, Goodreau SM, Rosenberg ES, Weiss KM, Hoover KW, Smith DK, Sullivan P., 2017, Individual HIV Risk versus Population Impact of Risk Compensation after HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis Initiation among Men Who Have Sex with Men, PLoS One, 12, e0169484
- Jenness SM, Weiss KM, Goodreau SM, Rosenberg E, Gift T, Chesson H, Hoover KW, Smith DK, Liu AY, Sullivan P, 2017, Incidence of Gonorrhea and Chlamydia Following HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis among Men Who Have Sex with Men: A Modeling Study, Clin Inf Dis, ,