My primary research interests are measuring the ways in which air pollution influences human health. Since joining the Department of Environmental Health in 2009, much of my work has involved the development of unique sampling systems for assessing exposure to air pollution in special microenvironments such as inside vehicles while commuting. From 2005 to 2008, I was a post-doctoral fellow in Emory’s Department of Pediatrics and worked on a project investigating the influence of air pollution exposure on pediatric asthma patients. From 1999-2005, I was a PhD student at Georgia Tech and worked on two projects: development of an instrument to measure water-insoluble aerosols in real-time and computer modeling of the influence of atmospheric particulate matter on crop production. Prior to graduate school, I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Benin, West Africa (1995-1998) and studied civil engineering at Clemson University (1990-1994).
- Roby Greenwald, Stefanie Sarnat, Amit Raysoni, Wen-Whai Li, Brent Johnson, Thomas Stock, Fernando Holguìn, Teresa Sosa, Jermey Sarnat., 2013, Associations between source-indicative pollution metrics and increases in pulmonary inflammation and reduced lung function in a panel of asthmatic children, Air Quality, Atmosphere & Health, 6, 487-499
- Roby Greenwald, AM Fitzpatrick, B Gaston, NV Marozkina, SC Erzurum, WG Teague., 2010, Breath formate is a marker of S-nitrosothiol depletion in severe asthma, PLoS ONE, 5, e11919
- Roby Greenwald, JM Ferdinands, WG Teague., 2009, Ionic determinants of exhaled breath condensate pH before and after exercise in adolescent athletes, Pediatric Pulmonology, 44, 768-777
- Luckarift, HR, Roby Greenwald, MH Bergin, JC Spain, GR Johnson., 2007, Biosensor system for continuous monitoring of organophosphate aerosols, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 23, 400-406
- Roby Greenwald, MH Bergin, J Xu, D Cohan, G Hoogenboom, WL Chameides., 2006, The influence of aerosols on crop production: a study using the CERES crop model, Agricultural Systems, 89, 390-413
- Roby Greenwald, MH Bergin, CM Carrico, D Grant., 2005, A new real-time technique to measure the size-distribution of water-insoluble aerosols, Environmental Science and Technology, 39, 4967-4973