I earned a bachelor’s degree in Biology from Tulane University (New Orleans, Louisiana), a master’s degree in Epidemiology and Biostatistics from San Diego State University, and a doctorate in Medical Anthropology from the joint program at the University of California San Francisco/Berkeley. I served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Nepal after attending Tulane University and, ten years later, I returned as a Fulbright Fellow to conduct field research on the epidemiology and social determinants of malaria in Nepal. I worked at the National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (Bethesda, Maryland) as an Arthritis Foundation grantee researching the epidemiology of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies, and under cooperative agreement with the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), I established the State of Florida's pesticide poisoning surveillance system. In the private, for-profit sector, I worked on the production of recombinant human growth hormone at Genentech, Inc. (South San Francisco) and, in the non-profit sector, I directed the American Cancer Society's global tobacco surveillance and cancer control research programs (based in Atlanta). I currently work for the Abu Dhabi Department of Health where I'm responsible for the regulation and promotion of the emirate's health research infrastructure.
Affiliations & ActivitiesHealth Authority - Abu Dhabi
- Shafey, O; Eriksen, M; Ross, H; Mackay J, 2009, The Tobacco Atlas, , ,
- Saslow D, Castle PE, Cox JT, Davey DD, Einstein MH, Ferris DG, Goldie SJ, Harper DM, Kinney W, Moscicki AB, Noller KL, Wheeler CM, Ades T, Andrews KS, Doroshenk MK, Kahn KG, Schmidt C, Shafey O, Smith RA, Partridge EE, Garcia F. , 2007, American Cancer Society Guideline for Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine Use to Prevent Cervical Cancer and Its Precursors, CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians , 57(1) , 7-28
- Shafey, O, 2007, Health issues in the Arab American community. Global epidemiology and health hazards of tobacco use: Arab world patterns. , Ethnicity and Disease, 2007 Summer 17(2 Suppl 3) , 13-15
- Calvert GM, Plate DK, Das R, Rosales R, Shafey O, Thomsen C, Male D, Beckman J, Arvizu E, Lackovic M., 2004, Acute occupational pesticide-related illness in the US, 1998-1999: surveillance findings from the SENSOR-pesticides program , American Journal of Industrial Medicine, 45, 14-23
- Shafey O, Fernandez E, Thun M, Schiaffino A, Dolwick S, Cokkinides V. , 2004, Case studies in international tobacco surveillance: Cigarette advertising and female smoking prevalence in Spain 1982-1997, Cancer, 100(8), 1744-1749