Dr. Crawford's broad research interests are examining the social processes that create and perpetuate racial and ethnic disparities in HIV. Dr. Crawford's research aims to inform structural interventions and policies that reduce substance use, high-risk drug and sexual behaviors, and ultimately racial and ethnic disparities in HIV.
Dr. Crawford received her PhD in Epidemiology from Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health and completed her post-doctoral training at the University of Michigan as a Robert Wood Johnson Health and Society Scholar.
Areas of Interest
- Addiction/Substance Abuse
- Health Disparities
- Social Epidemiology
- PhD 2011, Columbia University
- BSHES 542: Socio-Behavioral Measurement
- Crawford ND, Myers S, Young H, Klepser D, Tung E., 2021, The Role of Pharmacies in the HIV Prevention and Care Continuums: A Systematic Review., AIDS and behavior, 25, 1819-1828. PMID: 33386509; PMCID: PMC8084889.
- Crawford ND, Haardöerfer R, Cooper H, McKinnon I, Jones-Harrell C, Ballard A, von Hellens SS, Young A., 2020, Characterizing the Rural Opioid Use Environment in Kentucky Using Google Earth: Virtual Audit., Journal of Medical Internet Research, 22, PMID: 31588903; PMCID: PMC6800460.
- Crawford ND, Josma D, Morris J, Hopkins R, Young HN. , 2020, Pharmacy-based pre-exposure prophylaxis support among pharmacists and men who have sex with men., Journal of American Pharmacist Association (2003)., 60, 602-608. PMID: 32007364; PMCID: PMC7387144.
- Crawford ND, Moore K, Christine PJ, Barrientos-Gutierrez T, Seeman T, Diez Roux AV., 2018, Examining the Role of Neighborhood-Level Foreclosure in Smoking and Alcohol Use Among Older Adults in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis., American Journal of Epidemiology, 187, 1863-1870.
- Crawford ND, Ford C, Rudolph A, Kim B, Lewis CM. , 2017, Drug use Discrimination Predicts Formation of High-Risk Social Networks: Examining Social Pathways of Discrimination., AIDS and Behavior., 9, 2659-2669. PMID: 28025736; PMCID: PMC6679928.
- Crawford ND, Dean T, Rivera AV, Guffey T, Amesty S, Rudolph A, DeCuir J, Fuller CM., 2016, Pharmacy Intervention to Improve HIV Testing Uptake Using a Comprehensive Health Screening Approach., Public Health Reports, 131 Suppl 1, 139-146. PMID: 26862239; PMCID: PMC4720615.
- Crawford ND, Amesty S, Rivera AV, Harripersaud K, Turner A, Fuller CM. , 2014, Community Impact of Pharmacy-Randomized Intervention to Improve Access to Syringes and Services for Injection Drug Users. , Health Education and Behavior. , 4, 397-405. PMID: 24722219.
- Crawford ND, Rudolph AE, Fuller CM., 2014, Racial/Ethnic Differences in Recent Drug Detoxification Enrollment and the Role of Discrimination and Neighborhood Factors., Substance Use and Misuse, 49, 124-133. PMID: 23964956; PMCID: PMC4333133.
- Crawford ND, Galea S, Ford CL, Latkin C, Link BG, Fuller C., 2014, The relationship between discrimination and high-risk social ties by race/ethnicity: examining social pathways of HIV risk., Journal of Urban Health, 91, 151-16. PMID: 23749458; PMCID: PMC3907620.