Carlos del Rio, MD is a Distinguished Professor of Medicine in the Division of Infectious Diseases at Emory University School of Medicine and Executive Associate Dean for Emory at Grady. He is also Professor of Global Health in the Department of Global Health and Professor of Epidemiology at the Rollins School of Public Health. He is also co-Director of the Emory Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) and co-PI of the Emory-CDC HIV Clinical Trials Unit and the Emory Vaccine and Treatment Evalaution Unit. Dr. del Rio is a native of Mexico where he attended medical school at Universidad La Salle, graduating in 1983. He did his Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases residencies at Emory University. In 1989 he returned to Mexico where he was Executive Director of the National AIDS Council of Mexico (CONASIDA, the Federal agency of the Mexican Government responsible for AIDS Policy throughout Mexico), from 1992 through 1996. In November of 1996 he returned to Emory where he has been involved in patient care, teaching and research. Dr. del Rio was Chief of the Emory Medical Service at Grady Memorial Hospital from 2001 - 2009 and Chair of the Department of Global Health from 2009 - 2019. Dr. del Rio’s research focuses on the early diagnosis, access to care, engagement in care, compliance with antiretrovirals and the prevention of HIV infection. He has worked for over a decade with hard-to-reach populations including substance users to improve outcomes of those infected with HIV and to prevent infection with those at risk. He is also interested in the translation of research findings into practice and policy. His international work includes collaborations in the country of Georgia, Ethiopia, Vietnam, Mexico, Kenya and Thailand. He has also worked on emerging infections such as pandemic influenza and was a member of the WHO Influenza A(H1N1) Clinical Advisory Group and of the CDC Influenza A(H1N1) Task Force during the 2009 pandemic.
Dr. del Rio is a Member of the Board of Directors of the International Antiviral Society-USA (IAS-USA) and was a Board member and Chair of HIVMA of the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA). He is a also the Chair of the PEPFAR Scientific Adviosry Board. He is Chief Section Editor for HIV/AIDS for NEJM Journal Watch Infectious Diseases, Associate Editor for Clinical Infectious Diseases and member of the editorial board of Journal of AIDS and Global Public Health. Dr. del Rio has co-authored 30 book chapters and over 350 scientific papers. Among his many honors are the James H. Nakano Citation received in 2001 and awarded by the CDC for an outstanding scientific paper published in 2000; the Emory University Marion V. Creekmore Achievement Award for Internationalization; he was selected by the “Atlanta Magazine” as one of the 55 most influential foreign born Atlantans in 2007. In 2013 Dr. del Rio was elected to the National Academy of Medicine and in 2020 was elected as Foreign Secretary of the National Academy of Medicine.
Areas of Interest
- Addiction/Substance Abuse
- HIV/AIDS Prevention
- Infectious Disease
- MD 1983, Universidad La Salle
- GH 511: Intl Infectious Diseases
Affiliations & Activities
Current Titles and Affiliations:
a. Academic appointments:
April 1st, 2009 - present – Hubert Professor and Chair, Rollins School of Public Health
Sept 1st, 2003 - present – Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases), Emory University School of Medicine
b. Clinical Appointments:
Jan 1st, 2007 – present: Clinical Research Site (CRS) for the Emory ACTG, Ponce de Leon Center of the Grady Health System.
c. Other administrative appointments:
Oct 1st, 2005 – present: Co-Director, Emory Center for AIDS Research.
- Bonney LE, Cooper HL, Caliendo AM, Del Rio C, Hunter-Jones J, Swan DF, Rothenberg R, Druss B., 2012, Access to health services and sexually transmitted infections in a cohort of relocating African American public housing residents: an association between travel time and infection, Sex Transm Dis., 39, 116-21
- Doshi RK, Vogenthaler N, Lewis S, Rodriguez A, Metsch L, Del Rio C, 2012, Correlates of antiretroviral utilization among hospitalized HIV-infected crack cocaine users, AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. , ,
- Copeland B, Shah B, Wheatley M, Heilpern K, Del Rio C, Houry D, 2012, Diagnosing HIV in men who have sex with men: an emergency department experience, AIDS Patient Care STDS, ,
- Hogan CM, Degruttola V, Sun X, Fiscus SA, Del Rio C, Hare CB, Markowitz M, Connick E, Macatangay B, Tashima KT, Kallungal B, Camp R, Morton T, Daar ES, Little S; A5217 Study Team., 2012, The Set Point Study (ACTG A5217): effect of immediate vs. deferred antiretroviral therapy on virologic set point in recently HIV-infected individuals, J Infect Dis. , 205, 87-96
- del Rio, Carlos, 2011, Multiplying Research Capital, , ,
- del Rio, Carlos, 2011, Reflecting on 30 years of HIV/AIDS - Multiplying Research Capital, , ,
- Dionne-Odom J, Tambe P, Yee E, Weinstock H, del Rio C., 2011, Antimicrobial resistant gonorrhea in Atlanta: 1988 - 2006, Sex Transm Dis. , 38, 780-782
- del Rio C, Armstrong W., 2011, Antiretroviral therapy programmes in resource limited settings, BMJ, ,
- Talati NJ, Gonzalez-Diaz E, Mutemba C, Wendt J, Kilembe W, Mwananyanda L, Chomba E, Allen S, del Rio C, Blumberg HM, 2011, Diagnosis of latenttuberculosis infection among HIV discordant partners using interferon gamma release assays, BMC Infect Dis. , 11, 264
- Rebolledo P, Kourbatova E, Rothenberg R, Del Rio C., 2011, Factors associated with utilization of HAART amongsthard-to-reach HIV-infected individuals in Atlanta, Georgia, J AIDS HIV Res. , 3, 63-70
- Narayan KM, Ali MK, del Rio C, Koplan JP, Curran J., 2011, Global noncommunicable diseases - lessons from the HIV-AIDS Experience, N Engl J Med. , 365, 876-8
- del Rio C., 2011, Latinos and HIV care in theSoutheastern United States: new challanges complicating longstanding problems, Clin Infect Dis. , 53, 488-9
- Steinau M, Reddy D, Sumbry A, Reznik D, Gunthel CJ, Del Rio C, Lennox JL, Unger ER, Nguyen ML., 2011, Oral sampling and human papillomavirus genotyping in HIV-infected patients, J Oral Pathol Med. 2011 , ,
- Martorell and del Rio, 2010, Martorell scholarship will aid Hispanic students, , ,
- del Rio, Carlos, 2009, The Best of Both Worlds, , ,
- *** , 2000, >More extensive list of publications....., ResearchID.com sourced, ,