Barbara L. Massoudi is an epidemiologist and informatician with more than 25 years of experience in health, public health, and informatics and Principal at the MITRE Corporation. She is also an Adjunct Associate Professor of Informatics at Emory University. Throughout her career Dr. Massoudi has performed high quality, innovative work for numerous federal, state, non-profit, and professional association clients and has developed two health informatics programs in her prior positions. Her past and current clients include the Council of State and Territorial Epidemiologists (CSTE), the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, the Pew Charitable Trusts, the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), Precision for Medicine, and the Institute of Medicine. Dr. Massoudi is twice past-chair of the Public Health Informatics Section of the American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA). She is an alumna of CDC’s Epidemic Intelligence Service, where she served with the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Dr. Massoudi’s current research interests include information systems evaluation, knowledge management, population health, clinical decision support, design thinking, and training/professional development in public health.
Areas of Interest
- Public Health Informatics
- Massoudi, B. L., Goodman, K., Gotham, I. J., Holmes, J. H., Lang, L., Miner, K., Potenziani, D., Richards, J., Turner, A. M., & Fu, P., 2011, An informatics agenda for public health: Summarized recommendations from the 2011 AMIA PHI conference., Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, In Press,
- Taha A. Kass-Hout, MD MS, Katherine L. Spears, BA, John S. Brownstein, PhD, Michael Alletto, MS, Clark C. Freifeld, MS, Nabarun Dasgupta, MPH, James N. Kirkwood, MPH, Robert D. Furberg, PhD MBA, David L. Buckeridge, MD PhD, Barbara L. Massoudi, MPH PhD, 2011, CDC bringing together the Science and Practice of Public Health Surveillance through BioSense 2.0, American Journal of Preventive Medicine Blog, In Press,
- Massoudi BL, Olmsted ME, Zhang Y, Carpenter RA, Barlow CE, Huber R., 2010, A web-based intervention to support increased physical activity among at-risk adults., Journal of Biomedical Informatics, 43 (5 Suppl 1), S41-S45
- Kass-Hout T, Gray SK, Massoudi BL, Immanuel GY, Dollacker M, Cothren R., 2007, NHIN, RHIOs, and Public Health., Journal of Public Health Management and Practice., 13 (1), 31-34