Alvaro Alonso earned his M.D. and Ph.D. in epidemiology at the University of Navarra, Spain, and later conducted postdoctoral research at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston. He was faculty member at the School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, between 2007 and 2016, and joined the Rollins School of Public Health in 2016. Dr. Alonso's research interests lie in the epidemiology of cardiovascular and neurological diseases. His recent work has focused on the epidemiology of atrial fibrillation and other cardiac arrhythmias, and on the cardiovascular determinants of cognitive decline and dementia.
The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) Study. The ARIC study is a prospective epidemiologic study in four US communities designed to investigate the causes of atherosclerosis and its clinical outcomes. Within ARIC, Dr. Alonso is involved in studies focused on the epidemiology of atrial fibrillation and its complications, as well as in the ARIC Neurocognitive Study (ARIC-NCS), an ancillary study to ARIC aimed to understand the cardiovascular influeces to cognitive decline and dementia.
Comparative effectiveness of anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation. Using two large administrative databases (MarketScan, from Truven Health Analysics, and Clinformatics, from Optum), Dr. Alonso and colleagues are studying the risk and benefits of different treatments used in patients with atrial fibrillation.
Cardiovascular disease epidemiology and prevention, Neuroepidemiology
1518 Clifton Road, NE
Atlanta , GA 30322
Areas of Interest
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Neurologic Conditions
- PhD 2005, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- MPH 2002, National School of Health, Madrid, Spain
- MD 2000, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- EPI 537: Epi Of Chronic Disease
- Alonso A, Yu B, Sun YV, Chen LY, Loehr LR, O'Neal WT, Soliman EZ, Boerwinkle E, 2019, Serum metabolomics and incidence of atrial fibrillation (from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study), Am J Cardiol, ,
- Chen N, Lutsey PL, MacLehose RF, Claxton JS, Norby FL, Chamberlain AM, Bengtson LGS, O'Neal WT, Chen LY, Alonso A, 2018, Association of oral anticoagulant type with risk of dementia among patients with nonvalvular atrial fibrillation., J Am Heart Assoc, 7, e009561
- Mou L, Norby FL, Chen LY, O'Neal WT, Lewis TT, Loehr LR, Soliman EZ, Alonso A, 2018, Lifetime risk of atrial fibrillation by race and socioeconomic status: ARIC Study (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities), Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol, 11, e006350
- Agarwal SK, Norby FL, Whitsel EA, Soliman EZ, Chen LY, Loehr LR, Fuster V, Heiss G, Coresh J, Alonso A, 2017, Cardiac autonomic dysfunction and incidence of atrial fibrillation: results from 20 years follow-up, J Am Coll Cardiol, 69, 291-299
- Chen LY, Agarwal SK, Norby FL, Gottesman RF, Loehr LR, Soliman EZ, Mosley TH, Folsom AR, Coresh J, Alonso A, 2016, Persistent but not paroxysmal atrial fibrillation is independently associated with lower cognitive function: ARIC Study, J Am Coll Cardiol, 67, 1379-80
- Li D, Misialek JR, Boerwinkle E, Gottesman RF, Sharrett AR, Mosley TH, Coresh J, Wruck LM, Knopman DS, Alonso A, 2016, Plasma phospholipids and prevalence of mild cognitive impairment and/or dementia in the ARIC Neurocognitive Study (ARIC-NCS), Alzheimer's & Dementia: Diagnosis, Assessment & Disease Monitoring, 3, 73-82
- Alonso A, Roetker NS, Soliman EZ, Chen LY, Greenland P, Heckber SR, 2016, Prediction of atrial fibrillation in a racially diverse cohort: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA), J Am Heart Assoc, 5, e003077
- Magnani JW, Norby FL, Agarwal SK, Soliman EZ, Chen LY, Loehr LR, Alonso A, 2016, Racial differences in atrial fibrillation-related cardiovascular disease and mortality: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study, JAMA Cardiology, 1, 433-441
- Norby FL, Soliman EZ, Chen LY, Bengtson LG, Loehr LR, Agarwal SK, Alonso A, 2016, Trajectories of cardiovascular risk factors and incidence of atrial fibrillation over a 25-year follow-up: the ARIC Study (Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities), Circulation, 134, 599-610