I am an occupational/environmental medicine physician board-certified by the American Board of Preventive Medicine in Occupational Medicine and the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners.
As a member of the International Medical Commission on Bhopal disaster, I have designed and published the first long-term health effects studies on the exposed community. My work on exposure assessment in the gas victims is being used as a teaching tool in environmental epidemiology. My international experience includes evaluation of hazardous industries in India. My work at CDC/ATSDR has involved evaluation of communities exposed to hazardous agents.
In clinical practice, I have many years of experience in the area of workmens’ compensation and non-surgical orthopedics. In 2005, I served as physician to the CNN news team covering the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans and in 2018 worked on a medical mission with the Migrant Caravan consisting of refugees from Central America. I am the former Medical Director of the Occupational Health Clinics, Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Atlanta, GA.
Areas of Interest
- Community Based Research
- Environmental Health
- Global Health
- Occupational Health
Affiliations & Activities
American College of Occupational & Environmental Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Indian Institute of Public Health, Hyderabad, India
- Acquilla SD, Bertell R, Dhara VR, Tognoni G., 2005, The Bhopal Disaster aftermath: 10 & 20 years after, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 18, 268-273
- Dhara VR, Dhara R, Cullinan P, Acquilla SD. ., 2002, Personal exposure and long-term health effects in survivors of the Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal, Environmental Health Perspectives, 110(5), 487-500
- Dhara, V.R. & Dhara, R., 2002, The Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal: A Review of Health Effects, Arch Environ Health, 57(5), 1-10
- Cullinan P, Dhara VR, Acquilla SD. , 1997, Respiratory Morbidity 10 years after the Union Carbide Gas Leak at Bhopal, British Medical Journal, 314, 338-343
- Hall, H.I., Dhara, V.R., Kaye, W.E., & Price-Green, P. , 1994, Surveillance of Hazardous Substance Releases and Related Health Effects, Arch Environ Hlth., 49(1), 45-48
- Dhara, V.R., & Kriebel, D. , 1993, An Exposure-response method for assessing the long-term health effects of the Bhopal gas disaster, Disasters, 17(4), 281-289
- Dhara, V.R., & Kriebel, D., 1993, The Bhopal Gas Disaster: Its Not Too Late for Sound Epidemiology, Arch Environ Hlth., 48(6), 436-437
- Dhara, V.R. , 1992, On the Bioavailability of Methyl Isocyanate in the Bhopal Gas Leak, Arch Environ Health, 47(5), 385-386